Sub Banner

Immigration and the LGBTQ Community

Immigration and the LGBTQ Community

The beginning of the Trump administration caused many people in the United States fear that their rights may be threatened, and two such groups are immigrants and individuals who identify as LGBTQ. The good news is that our skilled immigration lawyer is here to protect your rights and advise you of the immigration options you have.

The following are only some options that may still be available for you as an LGBTQ immigrant:

Employment Visas

LGBTQ individuals have the same opportunities to obtain employment visas as any other foreign national. In addition, same-sex spouses can also obtain visas to accompany their spouse who has a valid employment visa.

Fiancé Visa

If you are a foreign national and your fiancé is a United States citizen, they can file a petition for you to enter the U.S. if you intend to get married within 90 days. You can then later file for your green card. This is true even if your home country does not recognize same-sex marriage.

Spousal Green Card

If you are already married to a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen, they can sponsor you so that you can obtain your own green card. You can become a permanent resident as long as your relationship is genuine and your same-sex marriage was recognized where it was performed (in the U.S. or abroad).

Petitions for Asylum

If you are under persecution in your country for your sexual orientation, you can file a petition to seek asylum in the U.S. In addition, your same-sex spouse can be added to the petition if you have already applied. If you are currently in the U.S. with asylum status, you can file a relative petition for your same-sex spouse to enter the U.S.

In addition, LGBTQ individuals are eligible to apply for immigration protections based on being the victims of domestic abuse or crime.

Call 201-703-9400 today for more information.

At the law office of Ronald P. Mondello, Esq. Attorney at Law, we work to protect the rights of all immigrants throughout New York and New Jersey. We will explore every option for your immigration status to protect your rights to be in the U.S. with your family and other loved ones. If you need assistance with any type of immigration-related legal matter, please do not hesitate to contact our office today for help.